top of page

Frequent Asked Questions

This section presents information to a collection of questions we received frequently from the Public.

If you are currently in imminent danger call 911 right away.

  • If your Incident does not jeopardize your life you may call our main business line 956-548-7000 to request an Officer assistance.

  • You may also come by our Police Station at 600 E Jackson St and talk to the Officer at the Information Booth.

  • Or you can submit your non-emergency report by internet at our Citizens' Online Reporting website.

Where can I Report an Incident ?

For information on how to file a complaint about an Officer employed by the Brownsville Police Department please click here.

Or download our informational pamphlet:

How can I file a Complaint about an Officer?

Traffic/Vehicle Related Questions


How do I contest a Traffic Citation?

A person who receives a traffic citation may contest it by going to the Municipal court, located at 1034 E. Levee St. and request a court date from the court clerk. On the specified date, the person will be able to plead his/her case before a judge and question the officer. If the judge rules in the person’s favor, the citation will be dismissed.


I lost my traffic citation - What do I do?

If you lost your traffic citation, you need to contact the Municipal Court for information to resolve your ticket. You can obtain court information by visiting the Brownsville Municipal Court Information website.

I have a question regarding my traffic citation - Who do I ask?

If you have any question regarding your traffic citation, you need to contact the Brownsville Municipal Court. The Brownsville Police Department is not authorized to supply information regarding the disposition or future outcome of any citation.

Obtaining Police Information

What do I need to obtain a Police Report?

Case/Incident # and a valid Photo Identification.

What if I do not have a Case/Incident #?

Please fill out an Open Records Request, to use our online form please click here.

How long does it take to obtain a report if I file an Open Records Request form?

Any report request may take up to ten business days to process.

How can I find the Disposition of my Case; and where can I obtain a copy?

To acquire this information you must contact one of the following:

Municipal Court for a Misdemeanor Class C


District Clerk Office for a Misdemeanor Class A or B


DA's Office for Felonies


How do I get Information on my parking ticket/traffic citations, and how do I pay for it?

Please contact Brownsville Municipal Court for parking tickets and traffic citations at 956-574-6612.

How can I obtain a copy of an online report?

Once you submit a Police Report Online a copy of the temporary report will be sent to the email address provided by you when filling the report.That is a temporary copy with a temporary case number, once your Online Report is reviewed and if it becomes approved you will receive a secondary copy with the official Incident number. If the Officer reviewing your Online Report requires more information or cannot approve it, you will receive an email to requesting more information or the reason for its rejection.

If for any reason you don't find our Online Report response emails please contact the Patrol Division at 956-548-7100.

Nuisance-Related Questions:

What can I do about my noisy neighbors?

A noisy neighbor may create a disturbance by having a loud television, stereo, or radio. These types of complaints are best handled by police officers because the loud noise is intermittent, occasional, or spontaneous. A loud party is also best resolved by the officers assigned to the area by calling the non-emergency line (956) 548-7000.

What can I do about barking dogs in my neighborhood?

Although pets can provide much companionship and love, they can also become a nuisance to an entire neighborhood if not cared for properly. All barking dogs or other nuisance complaints are handled by the City’s Animal Control Department. Barking dog complaints must be submitted in writing to the Animal Control Department with the name, address, and telephone number of the complaining party, a description of the nuisance, as well as name and address of the dog owner. For further information, please contact Animal Control Department at (956)548-7006.

Jail and Custody Information:

What are the hours of operation for Brownsville Municipal Jail?

The Municipal Jail operates 24 hours, 7 days of the week, during the 365 days of the year. For information on current inmates you may call 956-548-7148.

Jail Public Information

Some information for the City Jail inmates can be found at

Crime Related Information:

Where can I obtain crime prevention information?

Contact the Southmost Community Center, (956)548-7145 for crime prevention or neighborhood watch information.

Citizens' Online Reporting:

1.What do I do if online reporting is not right for me?

If your incident is an emergency, call 911. If non-emergencies, call 956-548-7000.

2.When should I use online reporting?

Online reporting is not for Incidents that are just taking place. Online reporting is for the convenience of submitting a report for: a past incident, a non-emergency incident, an incident where a life is not in danger, for documentation purposes, or an incident that does not require immediate police presence.

3.Will my online report be reviewed the same day I submitted it?

No, online reports will be reviewed in a period of 3 to 5 days after being submitted.

4.What if the incident happened in another city can I file a report using this online police citizen reporting system?

No, If the incident took place outside of the City of Brownsville please contact the police department for that city.

5.What is a known suspect?

A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find the person who committed the crime or the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.

6.Why do I need an email address to submit a report online?

Your email address will help us communicate with you and give you a copy of the official report once your online report gets approved.

7. what reports may need a follow up?

A follow up will be conducted if more information is required in order to accept a report; the information may be requested via email or by a Police Officer or Detective in person or by phone when possible. A follow up may be also necessary after your online report gets approved.

8.Can a report submitted online be rejected?

All submitted online reports will be reviewed and may be rejected for several reasons such as lacking important information, if the incident happened outside the City of Brownsville, or if the incident reported is of an aggravated nature. Other reasons may be considered however you may resubmit a report by calling our non-emergency telephone number 956-548-7000, or visiting our Police Station at 600 East Jackson Street and requesting to speak to a Police Officer to resubmit a report in person.

bottom of page